The Whiz Times is about introducing kids and families to the real world through immersive content and engagement opportunities. Content writing for kids is not easy task. But If you want to reach out to our super niche segment of intelligent, opinion leader and digital kids and digital parents- you can contribute content of your choice. If the content catches the imagination of our editorial team, all the glory and fame awaits you. And you will be the King or Queen of the world. But before you get started on that story or video content, here are some guidelines to follow:
Content Guidelines for writers to The Whiz Times.
Engage, Excite, Educate and Inspire readers [box type="default" size="medium" title="Key points while submitting content" right_title=" " right_description=" Submit your content" url="http://thewhiztimes.com/be-a-star/show-what-youve-got/" style="arrow green" ]* Is your story Well researched, Well structured and formatted? * Are enough facts and figures given?* Is your content engaging enough? Is the tone conversational? Can your content hold the attention span of a tween? * Is it appropriate for a family/children environment?[/box]
- Family friendly news items – only. No news items involving 'gossipy' stories. DO NOT use gossip news articles
- You are free to write on any topic of your interest. Or create a video of your choice. In general, news articles cover the following topics:
- International/Global: News and stories of interest around Culture, People, Politics
- Technology/ Science news and stories : Gadget releases, internet news or related stories, digital media related stories, science, astronomy and space
- Sports News and stories: International sporting events, scorecards, prominent players, winners/losers, workings of a game
- Entertainment news and stories: Movie releases, music releases, arts, events- relevant for kids
- In general, use the following Inverted Content Pyramid approach:
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Inverted Content Pyramid[/caption]
- Spelling and Grammar: Be free to write in your own way, though we prefer UK English
- Word count: Again, feel free to give the right treatment. We prefer 300 words- 600 words with at least one picture, graph, illustration or video (with proper attribution to sources. Only Commercially usable content with attribution links allowed)
- Proper proof reading- no spelling mistakes or grammatical errors
- Write in conversational language but do not write slang
- Use smaller paragraphs. Not big chunks of text. No more than 6 lines of text together.
- Avoid very HEAVY/DIFFICULT words. Use easily understandable alternativesinstead. Use those words only when they truly represent the best meaning
- example: instead of ‘serendipitous’ write “by chance”. Some words might lose their meaning when replaced. In those cases, use your judgement and let it be. Example: when using words like ‘REGIME’- use it as it is- because it is difficult to replace that word with its meaning
- Do proper research across various reliable and well respected sources- for every news article you are posting, refer to Wikipedia, BBC, CNN OR other well established newspapers
- Always support by data and give context or examples to make reading interesting.
- DO NOT have personal biases. Be neutral and present both sides of a story.
- No biases against any country, race, people, political stance, creed, gender, age or any other type of bias
- Give credit where it is due.Use graphs, pictures, illustrations, videos- with the following guidelines:
- Use use Creative Commons- labelled for Commercial use images. Try http://search.creativecommons.org/
- Attribution:Give credit links (URL) to the source.
- Below the graph, picture, illustration or videos
- Give links references if you are referencing to something:
- Example: The contestants have expressed concerns about political rigging while government maintains that... (give links to reputable sources that substantiate this claim)
- Give internal links to other stories within The Whiz Times- find opportunities to link to other pages within the site- read the site or search if something related to your topic has been mentioned. Give link outs to that post or section.
- Proper titles: While mentioning names of people address them as Mr/Ms
Have fun and await your moment of glory. Don't worry about getting selected or not. The first step is beginning to write. Be assured that you will hear from us. Start submitting now.
PS: We do not pay for individual stories as of now. However, we are on the lookout for good resident content writers and content creators. Please write in to email@example.com in case you want to work for The Whiz Times.